21 signs you’re from Calgary, Alberta

The Peace Bridge. calgary canada

The Peace Bridge.

Us Calgarians are a proud bunch, and for good reason. We can make it to the mountains in under an hour, we’re home to what is literally the Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth and we’re damn good neighbours—especially when times are tough. Without further ado, here are 21 signs you’re from Calgary, Alberta.

1) You can immediately tell when someone isn’t originally from Calgary, because they pronounce the A. It’s Cal-gree, not Cal-gary!

2) You see nothing wrong with standing in line for 45 minutes to get a free milkshake on Customer Appreciation Day at Peter’s Drive-In

3) You still call it Lindsay Park instead of the Talisman Centre

4) You know not to bother planting anything before May long. Because snow.

5) You have a special section in your closet dedicated solely to Stampede outfits.

6) You cringe every time your suggested route includes Deerfoot Trail.

7) You think the Caesar is a national treasure.

Caesar meme

8) You chuckle every time Mayor Naheed Nenshi destroys someone on Twitter.

9) You think 8 degrees is patio weather.

10) You’ve lost two years of your life looking for parking at Chinook Centre.

11) You remember when the Petro Canada tower was the largest building in town, but definitely appreciate our ever-expanding skyline.

READ MORE: The best spots to take photos in Calgarycanada-calgary-crescent-heights-downtown

12) @boringmonahan and @ShitNenshiHasto are your favourite Twitter accounts. Oh, and @Crackmacs. Obvs.

13) You make fun of Edmonton every chance you get. And Toronto.

14) You know that there are only two seasons: winter, and construction season.

Courtesy of Shutterstock

Courtesy of Shutterstock

15) You cried when Jarome Iginla was traded…

…and again when he returned to the Saddledome for the first time. Iggy Iggy Iggy!

16) And for the record…it was in.

17) If you’re a pedestrian, you hate cyclists. If you’re a cyclist, you hate vehicles. If you drive, you hate everyone.

18) You get way too excited when you see Gord Gillies from Global News in real life. Also because he’ll smile and wave back at you. Every. Single. Time.

19) You strategically plan your work schedule so you have no deliverables in July. Because Stampede.

20) You still lament the end of 25 cent draft night at Cowboys. Thursdays haven’t been the same since.

21) You still get choked up watching footage from the 2013 flood, not because of the damage but because you’re so damn proud of how everyone stepped up to help each other.

Calgarians! Got any more to add? Share them in the comments below!

YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY:

The 10 commandments of airport etiquette

The best things to do in Calgary, Alberta

Canada Olympic Park: The perfect place for daredevils

The best Instagram hashtags for Canada travel photos

SHARE THE PINSPIRATION! CLICK THE IMAGE BELOW TO PIN:

21 signs you're from Calgary, Alberta

21 signs you’re from Calgary, Alberta

You may also like...

23 Responses

1. Glendene says:

Only a couple of remarks…. I have lived here 40 years and have never heard anyone pronounce it “Cal-gree”. And what the heck is May long? Anyone over 5 years old should know that the holiday in May is Victoria Day. If you don’t know who Queen Victoria was, google it.

• Deborah Anderson says:

Glendene, anyone born in Calgary generally pronounces it “Cal-gree”, particularly if they are younger than about 75 now. I’ve noticed that people born pre-WW II tend to pronounce it more formally as Calgary. And again, anyone born in Calgary knows you NEVER plant bedding plants before May long weekend (of course it’s Victoria Day, but having now lived in BC for 16 years after having lived my first 35 years in Calgary, I’ve realized that Calgarian’s don’t refer to it as Victoria Day as much as other regions do. We call it May long weeked) because it ALWAYS snows and potentially freezes up until then. It could still do so after but your chances are better.

• Kate says:

Born and raised here. It’s Calgree, and I’ve always called it May long. Also never planted my flowers before then, though this year I was sorely tempted!!

• Roy Perron says:

I ALWAYS have pronounced it Cal-gree and I only lived there for 15 years!

• Ash says:

I’ve lived here all my life as well as my family.. friends… everyone I know pronounces it Cal-gree same with May long.. Where have you been?! 😛

2. Al Nelson says:

Only 40 years? No wonder you can’t pronounce our great city!! I was born in Calgary 65 years ago and it has always been properly pronounced Calgree!! Not two guys named Cal and Gary. LOL. I also agree that the’May Long’ does not have the same meaning as when I was young.

3. George says:

Is the Petro-Canada tower the Husky tower?

4. Tyson Goebel says:

It’s always been Calgree, it’s just how it’s said (well should be) I presently live out of province and always look when someone says it PROPER. I miss Paska-poo and the husky tower, both were awesome names! And RIP the Coral Drive-inn and its May Long dust till dawns ?

5. Frank McCracken says:

I real Calgarian cares that they are going to tear down the Stampede Corral! A lot!

6. Michael Petch says:

I would add to that: You can sing the lyrics for the old TV2&7 “Hello Calgary” song better than the national anthem. I’m referring to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA5VnKimBRs

7. Geri says:

And let us not forget Happy Valley!!!

8. Mary says:

Oh boy we as a family spent so much time at Happy Valley, wow great memiries☺??miss those times.

9. Trina says:

The ski hill is Paskapoo and the LRT is Little Ralphies Train.

10. george jacklin says:

you know you are from Calgary if you wear a cowboy hat 52 weeks a year

11. Sheri Thompson says:

I grew up in Medicine Hat, but now live in the United States. If anyone calls it “Cal-gary” then I KNOW they’re not from Alberta. It’s Calgree. Period. 😉 Our family always enjoyed visiting cousins in Calgary. The Calgary Stampede was always crazy, I preferred our more humble Medicine Hat Stampede. 🙂 But I do have siblings who live in Calgary. It’s a great city! 🙂

12. Tom says:

Does anyone remember suicide hill?

13. Erika says:

And EVERYONE in Calgary knows and gossips about how terribly dirty Sicome Lake is/was! If growing up you didn’t hear and gossip about the dead horse found, than you must have been living under a rock!

1. June 6, 2016